Hose clamps come in a variety of sizes and materials. They can be used for a number of different projects because of their versatility. They can be used in emergency situations to make quick repairs and are often used in lieu of duct tape or zip ties. One beauty of a clamp is its ability to exert the same pressure all along its surface. Different jobs can call for different kinds of hose clamp. Silicone hose clamps may work in places where rubber or wire hose clamps may not work as well. One place clamps are used a lot is in car repairs.
What People Like About Silicone Hose Clamps.
- They can look better than rubber. Many people they are more aesthetically appealing than rubber clamps. They have a metallic sheen that is very attractive to a lot of people. This makes them more popular for car radiator repairs where they blend in better to the vehicle. For some people the way the car looks, both inside and out, is important so these clamps can be a better way to go. The silicone hose clamps do blend in better with the look of most makes and models of car.
- They are easier to remove. Silicone hose clamps attach to a different area of the radiator. This different placement makes them easier to take off when and if that is needed. Silicone is less likely to stick to the radiator than rubber clamps. Rubber clamps, on the other hand, can become stuck to the vents and other areas of the radiator. This makes the rubber clamps much more difficult to remove than their silicone counterparts.
- Silicone is durable. Silicone is a very durable material. The material’s ability to absorb heat without compromising its durability is one real benefit to silicone over rubber.
What People prefer about Rubber Hose Clamps.
- Rubber clamps are a lot cheaper than silicone hose clamps. This is probably the biggest thing rubber clamps have going for them. If price is more of an issue for you than looks, you are much better off with rubber. Silicone is the most expensive kind of clamp so how they look needs to be really important to you.
- Rubber seals better. The drawback to having silicone hose clamps be easier to take off means the seal they create is never as strong or snug as other kinds of clamps. Rubber, on the other hand, is harder to get off but the seal it creates is much stronger than silicone. Most silicone hoses do not provide airtight seals and that makes the radiator less efficient due to energy loss.
- Most cars have rubber hose systems. You may like the look of silicone hose clamps but the fact is that they are a different thickness than rubber ones. If you car has a lot of rubber hoses, it makes a lot more sense to use clamps that are the same size. When you make the switch to silicone, you have to buy a lot more replacement parts than if you stay with rubber.
When picking what clamp is the right one for the project you are working on, you have to decide what your priorities are. Both rubber and silicone can make decent automotive hose clamps but making a list of what matters to you in the clamp you select will make the decision a lot easier. If look and ease of removal is paramount to you, silicone is your best option. If you are more concerned about your radiator’s performance or the cost of the clamps and the seals you create, rubber might be a better option.