If you’re like most people, you already know that buses are widely used for transporting school children, and that coach bus companies have been offering charter bus rentals for private trips and tour groups for many years. But we bet that there are some interesting things that you don’t know about buses!
- Buses began long, long ago in the 1800s — in their very first form, buses were drawn by horses. Sure have come a long way since then, haven’t they?
- Government data shows that coach buses are one of the safest methods of road travel. The media often tends to show buses in a negative way, but don’t let that fool you. Many passengers prefer taking coach buses on long trips because they don’t have to worry about driving for long distances and getting tired.
- Now more than ever, charter bus companies are researching new ways to make their buses more environmentally-friendly. This includes electric-powered coach buses, buses that run on compressed natural gas and bio-diesel, and buses that simply get better gas mileage.
- The word “bus” comes from the word “omnibus,” which means “for all” in Latin. Right from the first invention of the bus and right down to its name, people were hoping for a better form for transportation for large groups of people.
- The very first yellow school bus appeared in 1939, making it a fairly new method of transportation. (Although it’s hard to imagine a time when yellow school buses didn’t exist, isn’t it?)
Think that this list is too short? If you have your own fact, be sure to let us know by putting it in the comments!